With so many different CBD products available, you might be wondering how long does it take for CBD Oil to work? CBD taken sublingually will enter your system in about 20-30 minutes. When vaping CBD the effects can be felt within just a few minutes and will have a stronger effect but this will not last as long. Taking your CBD orally via edibles or capsules may take up to an hour to feel the full effects and the effects will last much longer.
How Long Depends On The Way You Administer It
There are a number of factors that determine how rapidly the CBD will treat your symptoms. These include the method of administration and the dosage. Two other factors are your particular metabolism and how quickly your body generally breaks substances down.
The four primary ways to ingest CBD:
This method is when you take CBD oil and drop it under your tongue. This CBD oil is known as a tincture and is generally the fastest method. For maximum efficiency in using the tincture, drop the desired dosage under your tongue and hold it there from 30 seconds to 1 minute. There are mucous membranes under your tongue. These membranes have a permeable layer covering tiny blood vessels, which allows the tincture to absorb into your bloodstream. This method works very rapidly and effects can be felt in under 5 minutes.
This is a method that may be even quicker than the sublingual application. You take a device known as a vape pen that consists of four parts: a battery, an atomizer (the heating component), a chamber to hold the CBD oil, and a mouthpiece. The atomizer vaporizes the CBD oil, which usually comes in a cartridge, and you then inhale the vapors. There are similar permeable membranes in your lungs that then allow the vaporized CBD to be absorbed into your bloodstream in under 1 minute.
The method of ingesting CBD means you swallow capsules or eat edibles (such as gummies) and then have the CBD be broken down by your gastrointestinal system. This takes longer than both sublingual application and vaporizing, usually in the range of 30 minutes up to 1 hour. Your weight, metabolic rate, and the contents of your stomach may decrease or increase the overall speed of absorption.
This method is unique because the CBD is directly applied to the affected area and the skin covering it. Products for topical application include lotions, salves, or balms and are highly effective in treating aches or pains that are localized to a specific part of your body. It is important to apply the topical CBD liberally to the affected muscles or joints, resulting in relief within a matter of minutes.
Sublingual and oral ingestion is the most common methods, meaning that most CBD products that are available are capsules, tinctures, or edibles. There is no one method that is inherently better, it just depends on what medical condition or set of symptoms that you need to treat.
CBD has a wide range of positive effects, some of which are immediate and others that are more long-term.
Immediate Effects of CBD VS. Long-Term Effects
The Immediate Benefits Of CBD:
- CBD can offer an immediate decrease in anxiety or agitation due to CBD’s effects on the brain and the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
- It can quickly reduce nausea and/or vomiting symptoms. CBD is also capable of alleviating diarrhea or an upset stomach.
- Cannabidiol offers an immediate decrease in various types of pain, including inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis.
- At higher doses, CBD has the ability to induce healthy sleep and help combat insomnia.
- CBD can offer a sudden decrease in sleep apnea In turn making you feel better rested in the morning.
- It could quickly stabilize your appetite (it can either increase or decrease your appetite, depending on your particular needs).
Furthermore, it is best if you use CBD as a daily health and wellness supplement, thereby allowing you to enjoy its long-term benefits as well.
Long Term Benefits of taking CBD Regularly:
- CBD could help with treating chronic anxiety and/or depression due to its ability to regulate the levels of crucial neurotransmitters like serotonin, anandamide, and dopamine.
- It can offer help in treating disorders like Crohn’s disease which result from chronic gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea, nausea, and/or vomiting).
- CBD shows promise for increasing cardiovascular health and regulating levels of healthy cholesterol.
- Taking CBD regularly can assist with maintaining sleep cycles that are stable and healthy.
- Regular application can boost the natural function of your immune system, including its ability to fight off certain forms of cancer and tumors.
- CBD oil could assist with treating various neurological disorders like seizures, dementia, and/or tremors. This is due to Cannabidiol’s properties as a neuroprotectant (a protector of nervous tissue).
- Takin CBD regularly can help with maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and decreasing the probability of developing diabetes.
- A regular regimen of CBD oil could help strengthen our bones and skeletal system.
- CBD can offer help with maintaining healthy skin and decreasing the probability of developing skin cancers. This is particularly useful if you administer the CBD orally or sublingually as well as topically.
- CBD oil Protects our body’s cells from degeneration and aging due to its antioxidant properties.
As you can see, CBD treats both symptoms in the immediate term as well as the underlying medical disorders in the long term. This is why it is such a valuable health and wellness supplement and has improved the lives of countless patients.
How To Determine Your Correct Dosage Of CBD
When using CBD to treat any one of these ailments, it is important to determine your proper dosage. You can have either:
A Regular Dose – People use this dosage for mild to moderate symptoms and less serious conditions. To calculate a regular dose take your body weight and multiply it by 0.25. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, then a regular dose would be 50 milligrams.
A Strong Dose – People use this dosage for moderate to severe symptoms and more serious medical conditions. You can calculate it by taking your body weight and multiplying it by 0.5. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, then a strong dose would be 100 milligrams.
To experience maximum relief, it is advisable to administer one dose in the morning and one in the evening. Most patients start with a regular dose and work their way up in 50-milligram increments until they get the relief that they need.
What Product Should You Use?
You must also determine what kind of CBD product you need. This depends entirely on your specific situation and what kind of symptoms you are suffering from. For patients who have vomiting and/or nausea, administering a sublingual tincture is preferable. Taking CBD sublingually will help you avoid having to swallow anything that may make your symptoms worse. In patients who have such severe nausea that they cannot keep anything down, it may not even be possible for them to use CBD as orally.
If you are experiencing stiff and/or painful joints or muscles, then a CBD ointment can work wonders. It is even better if you use a daily sublingual or oral supplement coupled with the ointment, thereby allowing you to treat both the immediate symptoms and the long-term causes of your pain.
Taking CBD on an Empty Stomach Versus a Full Stomach
The speed and effectiveness of orally ingesting CBD also depend heavily on the contents of your stomach. Remember that this method of ingestion consists of swallowing the supplement, having your stomach break it down, and then the absorption into your bloodstream via your intestines. How long does it take for CBD oil to work can depend on when you last ate.
If you have recently eaten a meal the CBD supplement will have to metabolize at the same time as the food. It is essentially competing with all the other contents in your stomach.
Consequently, taking oral CBD on an empty stomach will make it work quicker and be more potent in its effects. In essence, you are allowing your gastrointestinal system to focus exclusively on metabolizing the CBD supplement, meaning that you will experience maximum efficiency and efficacy at a rapid pace.
How Long Will the Effects Usually Last?
This also depends on how you ingest the CBD. Sublingual application or vaping is the fastest route, but they also result in your body breaking down the CBD faster. This means that the beneficial effects will last about 2 to 3 hours.
Oral ingestion, on the other hand, results in your body feeling the effects for a longer period of time. This can be anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. By having your gastrointestinal system break the supplement down and absorb it into your bloodstream via your intestines, you get a more gradual increase in CBD. This means it remains at a higher concentration in your blood for a longer period of time.
Which Method Is Best For You?
Remember the old fable of the tortoise and the hare. This is useful when considering which method of administration to use. It is true that the hare is faster and originally has a tremendous lead, but the tortoise is “slow but steady” and wins the race in the end.
Of course, there is no “winning the race” in treating your medical condition, but you can consider this fable when deciding how to take your CBD. If you need immediate relief that results in a greater spike of concentration in your bloodstream, then using a tincture or vape pen is preferable. If you need long-lasting daily relief, then orally taking the CBD is preferable.
You can also use both methods simultaneously: oral for long-term benefits and sublingual or vaping for immediate effects. It is impossible to overdose on CBD, so you increase your dosage as necessary in order to live your best life and overcome your medical conditions. It is always advisable to work with your physician in using CBD to ensure that you are getting the maximum positive effects of this wonderful supplement.