All CBD enthusiasts know CBD oil and smoked CBD flower are great in different ways; CBD oil is good for a long-lasting and effective dose of CBD while smoking CBD flower is fast-acting to help you relax after a long day. But have you ever wondered how to make CBD oil from CBD flower?
Yes, CBD flower and CBD oil are created from similar ingredients but administered in two different ways. You can easily make homemade CBD oil from hemp flower with a few things you probably already have in your kitchen!
Can You Make CBD Oil from CBD Flower?
Absolutely, and it’s easier than you think! To forge good CBD oil, you usually need only two ingredients: CBD and a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. All you need to do is extract the CBD (and the other beneficial cannabinoids and terpenes) from the CBD flower, combine it with a carrier oil, and you get CBD oil!
Extracting CBD from hemp flowers can be a complicated process with fancy machinery, but it can also be done using just a few kitchen materials. This home extraction method may not be as accurate or clean, but it’s possible, and you can get pretty decent results. And in the end, you can brag to all your friends that you made your own CBD oil (saving a bit of money while you’re at it!).
Why Use CBD Flower to Make CBD Oil?
There are many reasons why you should use CBD flowers to make CBD oil. As the consumer, one of the most notable reasons to make your own CBD oil is that you can specify how much CBD and what flower you want to include in the oil. Below is a quick rundown on why you should use CBD or hemp flower to craft your CBD oil.
High CBD Percentage:
CBD flowers are typically bred to be high in CBD. A high CBD percentage means an effective and potent CBD oil.
Many CBD Flower Options:
Many CBD flower strains are available that range in flavor, cannabinoid percentage, terpene profile, etc. The best thing to do is find a CBD flower strain that you like to smoke and use to make CBD oil.
CBD Flower is Legal:
CBD flower is made from hemp, which is federally legal after the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill. Hemp must have 0.3% or less THC, which should not be enough to get you intoxicated or high. However, hemp still has CBD and all the other wonderful terpenes and flavors of cannabis.
Hemp products like CBD flowers are readily obtained in all 50 states and online. This is great news because it makes it super easy to find a CBD flower you enjoy. Instead of spending time trying to dodge the law to get some flowers, you can spend time grinding, baking, and making CBD oil ripe with all the wonderful benefits of CBD.
How to Make CBD Oil from CBD Flower
Here is a simple recipe to make CBD oil from CBD flowers. Be aware that this is not the optimal way to make CBD oil. Though with a little patience and care, it’s easy, and you can do it right at home!
What you’ll need:
- 1 oz of hemp flower
- Grinder (or mortar and pestle)
- Cookie sheet
- Aluminum foil
- 16 oz of carrier oil, such as MCT oil, coconut oil, or olive oil
- Double boiler, crockpot, or a saucepan
- Large mixing bowl
- Mason jar
- Use a grinder to finely grind the hemp flower. Sprinkle the ground flower on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake the hemp flower in the oven at 220-225°F for 60 minutes. This is a process called decarboxylation, which activates the CBD in hemp.
- Mix the carrier oil and ground flower into the top of the double boiler and place it over a pot of simmering water for around 45 minutes. Low heat on the stovetop is sufficient because you do not want the oil mixture to get too hot. Use a cooking thermometer to make sure the temperature remains around 130-160°F and exceeds 200°F — this is to preserve the beneficial properties of the hemp.
- You can also use a crockpot set to 130-160°F and heat the mixture for 45 minutes.
- You can put the oil mixture in a glass mason jar and simmer it in a water bath on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Use a cheesecloth to strain the oil mixture into a large mixing bowl, making sure to remove all the plant matter. Let the CBD oil set until it reaches room temperature.
- Transfer the CBD oil to a mason jar and store it in a cool, dark place (a refrigerator works). Congratulations, you made your own CBD oil!
Making CBD Oil from CBD Flower at Home: Pros and Cons
To make your own CBD oil or not make your own CBD oil — that is the question. There are pros and cons to doing it yourself, so you should weigh each side and make your own decision. Here’s some advice:
- You can choose exactly what CBD flower strain you like and make your oil out of it. This means that you can select what CBD/THC ratio, flavors, and terpenes you prefer, so the oil will perfectly suit your taste.
- You can save some money because you can make a large amount of CBD oil with just one ounce of CBD flower.
- Homemade CBD oil is always full-spectrum CBD, meaning you get all the cannabinoids (including 0.3% THC or less), flavors, and terpenes of hemp. You can’t make a THC-free oil.
- Making CBD oil at home is imprecise; it’s difficult to measure the actual potency of the oil.
- The industry standard for CBD extraction is the CO2 method, which is remarkably clean, precise, and requires a triple-chamber machine — suffice to say, you won’t make it as good at home the first time.
Where Can I Find the Best CBD Oil?
If the homemade method seems like too much work for you (or if you’re short on time), don’t worry! We have the best CBD oil money can buy right here at Cheef Botanicals!
Our CBD oil is extracted with the clean CO2 method and is only two ingredients: full-spectrum CBD and hemp seed oil. It’s all-natural, organic, and lab-tested to ensure you get a quality product without cutting corners. Also, it comes in a range of potencies — from 300mg to 3000mg.
Final Thoughts – How to Make CBD Oil from CBD Flower
With just some CBD flower, oil, and a few kitchen materials, you can make your own CBD oil! It’s extremely satisfying to cook up your oil and tell the world that you did it. As a result, it might not be perfect, but it’s yours.
Whether it was impressing your friends that drove you to get crafty in the kitchen or wanting to save some money on CBD oils, make your CBD products in a safe environment, out of reach of children. When done properly, making CBD oil can help you save on money and provide you with specialty CBD products all your own.